Vista School Board Candidate for Area 2
About Debbie Morton
Debbie recently retired from teaching in a VUSD school after 24 years of service.
She and her husband are parents to four VUSD-educated daughters, two of whom currently attend VUSD schools.
Four of Debbie’s seven grandchildren also attend VUSD schools.
She is actively involved in her children’s and grandchildren’s education and overall lives.
As a long-time teacher, she knows first-hand what is going on in the classroom and what needs to be fixed or changed.
She understands how the district operates and how the budget works.
The students and parents of VUSD need Debbie as their voice.
She will ensure that they are heard.
- Fiscally responsible: I understand that financial solvency is a long-game and will ensure that the district be held accountable for all moneys.
- Good steward of taxpayers' dollars: I seek to squeeze value out of every penny and will ensure no funds are wasted on needless items.
- Transparent: I prize communication that is up-front, straightforward and high-minded, now and always. I also know that when something is confidential, it must stay that way.
- Traditional, yet innovative: I believe in returning to what works -- reading, writing and arithmetic -- but I also value modern advances in education if they are proven to work.
- Inclusive: I champion parents' rights to participate in and direct their children's education from day one.
- Safety First. Ensure there is a safety plan for all schools and all students are safe.
- Prioritize Social/Emotional Well Being. Protect the well-being of all students. Bring back more noon duty aides, add additional support staff, more counselors, and nurses at every site everyday.
- Improve Curriculum. A rich curriculum will ensure that children have opportunities to expand their learning and development.
- Spend Taxpayers' Money on Students. Keep cuts as far away from students as possible.
- Repair Schools. Make VUSD a district that is desirable to all parents and caregivers. This will raise property values and bring more money to the community and the district.
- Promote the Trade Professions. Let's show students that the trade professions are a good option for those who choose not to attend college.
- Vista Teachers Association
- California Teachers Association
- North County Labor Alliance
No Party Preference
- RBV Aquatic Foundation - Secretary
- School Site Council for RBV - Parent Rep
- School Site Council for Madison - Parent Rep
- Personalized Learning Steering
- School Start/End Times
- District Parent Advisory
- Language Arts Adoption
- Math Adoption
- Math Committee
- Early Childhood Committee
- Calendar Committee
Vista Teachers Association
- Volunteered at PTA Functions
- Children's Ministries at North Coast Church
California Teachers Association
- Site Rep, Treasurer, Elementary Rep, Bargaining Member
National Educators Association Rep
- Local Rep, School Budget Committee
District Map (Area 2)